Minutes for African Americans for the Arts meeting the home of Dawn Williams Boyd – November 7, 2017 at 6 pm.
Libation was offered by Herman McClenton at 6:25 pm
Treasurer’s Report – current balance – $3905.57. $400.00 went to Paragon for the “Dimensions” exhibit and an unknown amount to reimburse Shellton for refreshments for the same event.
Membership – 1 new member.
Marketing –Yell Oh reception December 6.Hammonds House in December? No AAFTA Bazaar there this year.
Programming – No report
Hospitality – No report. .
Exhibitions – No report.
AAFTA Gives Back – No report. This committee STILL needs a new chair.
Web site – Dianne is unable to take down the profile pages of members who have failed to post photos, artwork or statements. None of said artists have filled in this missing information since the last discussion of the subject. The web hosting has not been renewed and not been paid as of this meeting. It expired in August 2017.
Finance – No report.
Guest Speaker: Michael Harris, art collector, curator, discussed the “Business of Art”:
- Are you a hobbyist or a professional?
- Do you have a disciplined studio practice?
- Be assertive with dealers and collectors; If you are not comfortable with the business side get a representative – gallery, friend.
- Be consistent with pricing.
- Be professional and punctual with your gallery; never undersell or sell around your gallery.
- Study, research and experience the artists who inspire you.
- Great artists do thing differently.
Artist Showcase: Dawn showed her latest piece “We Shall Overcome”
With seven harambes meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.